What are the best non-Systemd distributions? What are the best systemd-free, Arch-based Linux distributions? In the question“What are the best Linux distributions for Misanthropes?” antiX is ranked 11th while Ubuntu is ranked 49th. What are the best Debian-based Linux distributions? I even like MX on old hardware (a kinda’ fuller-featured version of antiX) – it’s faster than Linux Lite and Lubuntu… What is the easiest but most beneficial distribution of Linux for a beginner to start with? Antix is definitely small, but doesn’t feel as natural as Lubuntu did (when it was a viable lightweight distro). What is the best Linux distribution for the Budgie Desktop? What is the easiest Linux distribution for Mac users to get acquainted with? Please tell me your opinion. The next important screen (Figure 2) requires you to set a computer name, domain, and (if necessary) a workgroup for MS Networking. Ubuntu looks clean even when running from a LiveCD. Lubuntu specifically targets older machines with lower resources, but also runs great on newer hardware. 256 MB of RAM. What are the best Linux distributions for servers? What is the best Linux distro for ryzen 7? December 13, 2019. 0. antiX is a fast and lightweight Linux distribution. Actually, most Linux distros are using systemd to manage the system processes, but antiX doesn’t like systemd. Making system updates (like it was with 10.04 to 11.04) that screw so many things up became a routine. The default apps available in Ubuntu cover the gamut of most anyone's needs. The same is true about Ubuntu. That has major problems:1) Terminal recommended for adding a PPA, which can scare away users2) A PPA can potentially distribute malware by creating a "newer" version of a package than available in other PPAs, such as the Linux kernel.3) PPAs must be recreated and re-added with every major system update. What are the best Linux distros for businesses? And one should carefully read forums before doing it. Canonical is focused on making money so you can see many proprietary offers by them and the OS has built-in trackers (Amazon). Even LTS releases should not give confidence that it will work. The setup for personal use is simple enough for anyone to achieve, and can easily be modified to act as a server. This makes it suitable for older, or under-powered, machines. Out of the gate, the MX Linux installer makes installing Linux a breeze. The help I need it's for this old laptop. What are the best distributions for Nvidia Optimus? The most important reason people chose antiX is: As the most popular Linux distribution, there's a wide range of sources for support online if you ever need help, including the Ubuntu Wiki, Ubuntu Forums and the Ask Ubuntu Stack Exchange site. While with 1 … antiX is based on Debian but is totally free of systemd!It comes with a custom kernel, its own custom scripts and repository to enhance user experience. MX Linux is a new distribution which is a collaboration between antiX and former MEPIS communities. It installs the OS and grub in no time. This can happen for a variety of reasons. Arch affords something no formal installer can – full free-form customization Ubuntu’s fully graphical installer and live DVDs make it ideal for both beginners and people who don’t want to be bothered fiddling with and configuring every aspect of their system. Not just for laptops - Ubuntu was designed with tablets and touchscreen devices in mind, and with phone support on the way. It might seem like there’s a clear winner here. After all, Ubuntu is the only one of these distributions with a proper installer. 7 GB of hard … It's also well populated with basic apps so it's useable right the start, eventhough what I downloaded is the 32 bit base version of Antix 16. Minimum System Requirements. I don’t have any problem with systemd, but time after analyzing systemd, I realized that it is … This means that the system must run well, otherwise they will lose money. Better eye candy, in the context of the same desktop environment (DE)-- in this case LXDE -- probably does not significantly increase resource usage; it comes from design. What are the best Linux distributions for 2019? An issue often faced by Ubuntu users after installing Ubuntu or upgrading to a new version is the "no-sound" problem. What are the best Linux operating systems for high performance and availability servers? What is the most customizable user friendly Linux distro? They are always recommended when one is looking for a lightweight Linux desktop OS.When you have a really old PC and you are looking for a replacement for something like Windows XP to bring the life back to it, or even if you want to devote all of your “new” … What are the best linux distributions for professional use? When comparing Ubuntu vs antiX, the Slant community recommends antiX for most people. Faster than other distros tested, including many on this list. While yes TinyCore is smaller, both on RAM usage and even installation size, AntiX allows for a … Ubuntu is debating on dropping 64-bit support, so if you pick Lubuntu, the 16.04 LTS (supported til 2019 for Lubuntu) may be the best in case Ubuntu kills it off on an intermediate release you won't be stranded on a release with only 9 months of support. The heart of the installation begins with choosing the disks and selecting the installation type (Figure 1). I was about to give up completely on using this old computer when I decided one more time to give all the small distros another chance. But it should not be used by more advanced users since the method of installing through the terminal is much faster and easier after one is used to it. Posted in Sidekick's Operating System Tagged AntiX, Debian, Debian-vs-Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint, Lubuntu, Mepis, MX-14, Ubuntu, Xubuntu 2 Comments Linux for the Future Posted on September 19, 2013 by Robin To get the most software available, user must add several PPAs to the system. It uses a slightly modified version of Xfce feels a bit more modern looking in look and feel than antiX. However, it isn’t a complete … The only two that are lightweight on this list are TinyCore and Puppy. What are the best Linux distributions for Misanthropes? What are the best Linux distributions for Gnome Shell? What are the best Linux distributions for laptops? The default GNOME desktop environment is a resource hog which requires hardware accelerated graphics rendering in order to run smoothly, making out of the box Ubuntu unsuitable for low end systems and older hardware. Ultimately, you're the one who is gonna be using it. Tell us what you’re passionate about to get your personalized feed and help others. Programs and all features are easy to find and use, and first-timers can easily pick up on how to use it. Type any query into the Dash Home, and search will look through files, stores and web-pages to find what you are looking for. Lubuntu is one of official flavors of Ubuntu. What are the most usable Linux development releases? What are the best lightweight Linux distributions? Lots of support for hardware, lots of pre-installed software, and a smooth install process means less time downloading drivers, less time digging through configuration files, and less time deciding on software to use just to get up and running. Lubuntu vs. LXLE I really want to try 'marketing' Linux as an XP/Vista replacement, particularly on older PCs but actually for any customer is fed up with Microsoft's nonsense such as forced Windows 10 upgrades and problems like Windows updates happening at … Beginning with Ubuntu 5.04, UTF-8 became the default character encoding, which allows for support of a variety of non-Roman scripts. This allows for users to always have a new supported release available without long unkown wait times in between. It’s based on Debian too. Gnome has lot of extensions available and can be custmoized rather easily. Xubuntu Vs Lubuntu Most of these two distros are put in the same brackets because there is a lot of commonness between them. You can click your way through with full guidance at every … Although it may not be the most modern-looking installation tool, there’s little to second-guess. It's based on Debian Stable, and offers its own customized desktop environment "antiX Magic" for low power hardware. The best distro is the one you like the best and is the easiest for you. More importantly, it’s usually a pretty easy problem to resolve. What is the best Linux distro for easily connecting to wpa enterprise wifi with peap authentication (like eduroam)? I have seen it run on really low-end hardware with little to no issue. I'v been pretty happy about it and so I wanted to revive an old laptop I own. What I found, that I like less on antiX with respect to lubuntu, is less updated software (especially firefox. antiX offers users the “antiX Magic” in an environment suitable for old and new computers. antiX is a million times better than lubuntu IMO (But I would say that wouldn't I). Sometimes, it doesn't shutdown correctly. antiX can be used as a rolling release distro ie you should be able to keep your applications up to date by regularly upgrading. What Linux distros look the best (nicest) out of the box? Lubuntu. From looking at the homepage, I can't see how it would be significantly different from Lubuntu resource wise especially since it is also LXDE based and bills itself as "light on resources" and "primarily for aging computers".. While in term of usage there are no real differences. Remember , to give each distro a 2 to 3 week drive test. Also tried antiX – amazing on old hardware. It‘s one of the most stable Linux Distros. I take special delight in keeping this ancient Dell desktop running and out of the landfill. What are the best Linux distributions for beginners? The most packages are imported from Debian but Ubuntu uses own bug trackers and develops its own patches. antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy-to-install Linux live CD distribution based on Debian's "Stable" branch for x86 compatible systems. What are the best Libre Linux Distro for noobs? With the removal of Unity, there is no point in choosing Ubuntu over Debian anymore because everything else is imported from Debian to Ubuntu. Tried them both. Even mildly aged hardware, you'll get far better performance out of a lighter desktop environment like LXDE or XFCE. Lubuntu/Xubuntu First off, like with nearly everything, there's an Ubuntu option for lightweight installs. antiX should be ligther on the resources, but you are pushing the limits for modern web browsers, not matter what the distro. PPA repositories allow you to install the latest version of your preferred software while keeping the rest of the operating system "stable". Because the menu usually is in the title bar and the launcher auto-hides, the whole screen can be used by an application. All other Linux distros aimed at older computers either simply would not work or required too much knowledge of Linux for a new or average user. antiX offers users the "antiX Magic" in an environment suitable for old computers. This distro is also augmented by ongoing backports and additions. What are the easiest Linux distributions for Windows users to get acquainted with? What are the best Linux distributions for a backend developer? This distro is also augmented by ongoing backports and additions. Ubuntu has some serious issue with some Lenovo laptops and desktops. The most important reason people chose antiX is: Has a 70-90MB memory footprint. What are the best portable operating systems? Pentium III processor. This is mostly because packages and tools are readily available via software center. Actually, there's two. Help me find a distro (Lubuntu vs Puppy) I've been using Ubuntu in my main desktop, since the 14.04 release. ... antiX AntiX is another long time favorite for older computers. Ubuntu releases are based on Debian testing/unstable, however, unlike other Debian-based distributions they are not binary compatible due to different libc versions, so you can't install Debian packages in Ubuntu and vice versa. Currently, antiX-19.2 “Hannie Schaft” comes in four different editions: Full, Base, Core, and Net. What are the best operating systems for web designers? After research a narrowed it down to LXLE. In 2012 it became impossible in Ubuntu to move the close-window-button back to the upper-right corner of the window, where it always was before. New Ubuntu versions are released two times a year, during this period almost all software receives only security updates and minor bug fixes. What are the best alternatives to Debian? antiX is a very different distro, it isn’t like Debian or Ubuntu. Up to now, I discovered that with 512 MB of RAM and one core, there is not great differences between antiX and lubuntu except the fact that the former is slightly faster on boot. Because of that, Ubuntu has tried hard to make a user interface that's intuitive and looks pleasant and clean. Here are a few simple fixes you can try. Here are some antiX pluses. AntiX Linux. It doesn’t use systemd. Advertisers pay to have their links or software preinstalled. It's a Dell latitude D531. What are the best home operating systems? That ability to configure a workgroup is the first bit to really stand out. It also means less time digging through forums looking for support. Like the links to Amazon installed by default in the dock. Instead of original Gnome desktop with Ubuntu you get a tweaked Gnome and most of the tweaks makes user experience worse. What are the best Linux distros that don't use systemd? What are the best Linux distribution for web hosting? Some people pointed out that updating Arch is a high risk affair. Lubuntu is a variant of Ubuntu that uses fewer system resources. Even Lubuntu was too much. AntiX I used this distribution once ever, and it has two deals. What are the best Linux distros for old notebooks/laptops? and give up on flash altogether at that level I would think. What is the best Linux Distribution for gaming? With it's very low resources, it doesn't really run the full-blown version of Xubuntu as well as it used to, and when 32-bit support ends it'll finally be time to retire the faithful old box. The Ubuntu Software Center offers a GUI interface for installing new apps which is extremely easy and welcoming for beginners to Linux. Here are the reasons I prefer MX Linux over other distros: 1. What are the best Linux distributions for DevOps? Although the default styling is a bit retro like Win 98, it boots quickly and the performance is snappy. The promise of antiX and debian was too good to ignore after using the fast and versatile antiX distro. What are the best Linux distros for home use? The goal is to provide a lightweight, fast and energy-saving operating system. What are the best Linux operating systems for personal use? The installation procedure for antiX is quick and painless. If you try to download "unpopular" software, so you may find you're downloading a version that's several years old. What are the best Linux distributions for 2018? From music, video or office applications Ubuntu has an app that will cover the users needs. But … MX Linux, a desktop-oriented Linux distribution based on Debian's "stable" branch, is a cooperative venture between the antiX and former MEPIS Linux communities. Ubuntu also has Long Term Support releases, as well as a version oriented toward servers, so you can use the same OS at work or on mobile as you do on your desktop. It traditionally uses the LXDE interface. Ubuntu is designed to be used by everyday people. Which Linux distros strongly resemble macOS in look and feel? Even though I prefer MX over antiX, I like the changes in antiX that I've seen over the years, such as pre-installed LibreOffice. In the question“What are the best Linux distributions for Misanthropes?” antiX is ranked 10th while Ubuntu is ranked 49th. As soon as I see Lubuntu on any list of lightweight anything… I move on. One, it mostly keeps to Window Managers for purposes of speed. Slant is powered by a community that helps you make informed decisions. What are the best Linux distributions for an old machine? Modern web browsers now struggle with less than 2GB of ram, I used to have several machines with just 1GB, but I've upgraded them to 2GB because of this fact. Lustre recommends the best products at their lowest prices – right on Amazon. What is the best portable Linux distribution? antiX vs lubuntu: what is the best lightweight distribution. What are the best Linux distributions for use on a pen drive? To the questions of their users Canonical replied that they know better than users where it would be convenient for users to have the close-window-button. AntiX is breath of fresh air. Using Xfce as the default desktop, it is a mid-weight operating system designed to combine an elegant and efficient desktop with simple configuration, high stability, solid performance and medium-sized footprint. MX Linux is a close relative to Antix, but not lightweight. This is the first distribution I can reme…