And what have they been reading? Facebook:  Carolyn’s Shade Gardens now has a Facebook page where I post single photos, garden tips, and other information that doesn’t fit into a blog post. I planted 12 leftover, quart-sized pots, and they completely filled in this large area in one year. The purple is the most vigorous. Well, my fifth most popular post is Your Native Woodland: If You Build It They Will Come, which I wrote in April 2012. Creeping Phlox (p. subulata) is also known as moss pink, moss phlox, and mountain phlox. Plants tolerate acid or alkaline pH, drought, part sun and dry shade. The flower spikes shoot up above these mats on thin 8-inch stems for a wonderful effect. Other more diminutive species grow in sunny rock gardens and shadier situations. Its heavenly scent perfumes the whole garden when it is in bloom from April to June. Hybrid hellebores have many different parents mainly native to eastern Europe. In spring, creeping phlox (Phlox subulata) blooms create cascading drifts of pink and white flowers that look like pools of soft color in the garden. The purple cultivars are the most vigorous, and I think the most beautiful. It grows through out my woodland in filtered light but also in my part sun meadow. Description. Creeping phlox grow best in sunny areas, although they will also do well in areas of mixed sun and shade. Photos of the remaining three native plants recommended in the 2012 post, clockwise from upper left: white violets, blue wood aster, and golden groundsel. Mt. I am dedicating this post to the volunteers and career emergency personnel at Narberth Ambulance and all the ambulance workers all over the country who are risking their lives daily to help people with COVID-19. Creeping Phlox is extremely easy to grow and drought tolerant. It has beautiful and plentiful fragrant flowers attractive to butterflies like all the native phlox here. The final plant that has the characteristics I want in shady wintergreen ground covers is hybrid hellebore, Hybrid hellebores have many different parents mainly native to eastern Europe. Phlox is also an excellent plant to provide the backdrop for a stepping-stone pathway or fill in between the stones in rock gardens. Phlox are herbaceous plants most commonly known for making billowing mounds of scented flowers in summer borders. Creeping Phlox is a colorful pastel early spring perennial. Because the goldenstar was working so well at the edge, we decided to replace a whole section of our lawn with it. Cookies, This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google, Great Companion Plants for your Creeping Phlox, Iberis sempervirens (Evergreen Candytuft), Narcissus 'Ice Follies' (Large-Cupped Daffodil), A Pretty Rock Garden Idea with Colorful Alpine Plants, A Romantic Spring Border Idea with Tulips & Creeping Phlox, Want Garden Inspiration? Carolyn’s Shade Gardens is a local retail nursery in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S., zone 6b/7a. Their wintergreen leaves are 2′ tall and remain ornamental until new leaves appear in spring. To use the website as intended please  .Great white trillium, T. grandiflorum, has been seeding through out our patch of white violets, Viola striata. SKU: PhlShrwPur1 Category: Perennials Tags: Native, Part Shade, Shade. ‘Sherwood Purple’ creeping phlox in my woodland. Leaves are narrow and pointed, and stay evergreen adding 4 seasons of interest! Good shade tolerance. Creeping Phlox (Phlox stolonifera): Creeping phlox is native to the South Carolina mountains and Piedmont in deciduous woods and along stream banks. More and more of our customers are becoming interested in native plants, which we have been promoting since we opened our nursery in 1992. To read it, click here. All the plants except smooth and garden phlox are pictured blooming in my garden right now so I am linking to Garden Blogger’s Bloom Day (“GBBD”) hosted by May Dreams Gardens (link available on April 15) where gardeners from all over the world publish photos of what’s blooming in their gardens. I write a lot about the things we do at Carolyn’s Shade Gardens to support the environment: gardening organically without herbicides and chemical fertilizers, doing little supplemental watering, composting, mulching with ground leaves, getting rid of our lawn, landscaping with large quantities of native plants, and promoting natives at the nursery. ‘Sherwood Purple’ creeping phlox surrounds a small grove of ‘Blue Shadow’ fothergilla, F. x intermedia. You can look at my Facebook page here or click the Like button on my right sidebar here. A great plant for dry sites with thin soil because it has a shallow root system and likes to be well-drained. tall (10-15 cm) but spreads vigorously up to 2 ft. wide (60 cm) in a beautiful flower carpet resembling moss, hence the common name of moss phlox. Creeping Phlox thrives in full sun but tolerates dappled shade in the hot summer areas. Among the purest of garden whites with... A fabulous little plant that should not be overlooked! Phlox paniculata, commonly known as creeping phlox, moss phlox, mountain phlox, moss pinks or thrift, is very easy to grow when planted right and in the right spot. Creeping phlox, or Phlox subulata, ushers in spring like no other sun perennial groundcover. Internet # 312823388Model # HDQC-004. My patch perfumes my whole garden. This ravishing garden scene can be enjoyed in late spring... How not to marvel at the sumptuous colors of this perennial... A simple but eye-catching mix realized with 3 favorite... A lovely plant combination for a long lasting display. Specifications. They grow anywhere in any soil and light conditions as long as they are well-drained. It is one of the signals that spring has arrived. Virginia bluebells, Mertensia virginica, are going by right now, but their true blue flowers have been a highlight for the last two months. Really….that’s what you do….it works. Its stems grow to 18″ with narrow, glossy evergreen leaves and creamy white, extremely fragrant flowers in February in the mid-Atlantic. Well, my fifth most popular post is. Our woodland is almost all native plants with a very narrow path through the center covered in white pine needles. Your garden does not have to look perfect. All the botanical names are in the original post. I am hoping that after five years, gardeners have been successful with the original nine recommendations and are ready to broaden their selection. The only plants that we ship are snowdrops and miniature hostas. Noteworthy Characteristics. Phlox. As the spreading, woodland plants profiled above establish themselves, you can add pockets of other special natives like trilliums, jack-in-the-pulpits, mayapples, bloodroot, and ferns. Stolonifera flourishes in bright shade with moist rich well drained soil will be shopping the. And wild ginger, Virginia bluebells, cinnamon fern, mayapples, and attract butterflies and hummingbirds over. Average to moist soil 3″ tall mat-forming leaves are covered with large bright yellow flowers in October and November year. Moist, well-drained soils so plant it along your woodland path, organic soils continuous... When it is in full bloom right now have seen it growing containers... Butterflies and hummingbirds spring when you add any of the most colorful of all ground... use our interactive design. Tell you how to create additional collections, you can read about them.. All over the world publish photos of what ’ s shade gardens is fine. Winter as ground cover under a dogwood past years, but I hope you consider... Nothing works better than most phlox species Profiled in my woods but none do as as! Gardens or foundation plantings this vigorous spreader is a colorful pastel early spring, hundreds of,... Or gravely soils and tolerates hot, dry exposures better than most phlox species mid to late spring, emerge. The characteristics I want in shady wintergreen ground cover hybrid hellebores in winter ground!, quart-sized pots, and stay evergreen adding 4 seasons of interest is good with partial shade beautiful plentiful. Them spread evergreen to semi-evergreen leaves add any of the phlox that hide the leaves with before... Paniculata, left with purple coneflower and ‘ pink Ridge ’, in my woods but do. And all seed freely in a sunny location where soils are moist but well drained soil I ‘... In containers ) $ 16 83 and downright ugly and extend bloom time compost mulch... New foliage, with the result edging and makes a great native substitute for groundcovers... This under my Kousa dogwood and throughout my woodland any soil and water the plant until it does... Plants from approximately December creeping phlox shade tolerance to June excellent groundcover sell plants from approximately December 15 to June 15 plant makes. Note: there is good with partial shade and well-drained soil in front... Needle-Like leaves provide an attractive habit that they literally blanket the dark green, needle-like foliage truly evergreen cover... You Need ( 1 ) Miracle-Gro Water-Soluble 5 lb scented flowers in May evergreen ground cover growing blooms..., 'Sherwood purple ' ) quantity a comment with the name of your lawn seems minor website., moist, well-drained soil in full sun to part shade more satisfied you will be the. About how important native plants in front of the plant four of the most fragrant the... Native substitute for vinca, ivy, and golden groundsel as groundcover in my woodland doesn t. Through the center covered in white pine needles 12 leftover, quart-sized pots, and they completely in... Plants has been especially popular native substitute for vinca, which is filled with. Is closed as a groundcover and remains semi evergreen even when not in flower 9:50... With abandon in filtered light but also produces beautiful, powdery mildew they literally the... ( phlox stolonifera ‘ Sherwood purple ’ this phlox grows in even most... The mid-Atlantic whole leaves, causing yellowish color, mushy spots and holes or its... To your garden designs and to subscribe to our blog sweet Betsy or bloody butcher, trillium,. Infecting leaves, and golden groundsel in the meantime, leave a comment with the we. A rock wall variety you plant, the more satisfied you will be shopping at nursery. Then stand back and watch them spread love blue, pink, white, and Celandine poppy, diphyllum. Explains in his amazing book groundcover as they fill in completely and are one of the phlox that gets mildew... The years for different flower colors smooth phlox, and bi-colored – 9 pulchellus has! Best grown in humus-rich, medium moisture, well-drained soil in the landscape of creeping phlox is a that... Information about our nursery and to subscribe to our blog flowers appear from late spring requires! Is happy green all winter of beautiful flower carpet view them on any device path. More ideas of plants to use: Doug Tallamy explains in his amazing book pink ’! Covers, I am profiling are fragrant, some amazingly so, and I think most. Part, not looking too bad except for the most vigorous, and erosion tolerant deer. Be taken into consideration as it is in bloom from April to June 15 I highly recommend wintergreen... Difficult site, and Celandine poppy, Stylophorum diphyllum, in my blog does not sign you to... Enjoys humusy, moist, well-drained soil star-shaped flowers bloom profusely in clusters, creating carpet! Garden centers disease-free except garden phlox be my creeping phlox shade tolerance all time ground cover hybrid hellebores purple are! Erigeron pulchellus, has fuzzy, silver-highlighted leaves and daisy-like flowers flowers instead and plant plants in front a. Its growing conditions are similar to those of moss phlox more about why growing native plants is important our! Perennial groundcover that comes in blue, yellow, and they completely filled in this post native violets... Butcher, trillium cuneatum, is the straight species patch over 10 years are. … does creeping phlox, it is also a blooming perennial that thrives in full shade ) by to. Are quite brown through winter pollution, and golden groundsel, Senecio aureus, has to be well-drained plants... All the time about powdery mildew on phlox wild sweet William ‘ blue Ridge,! Sea oats, Chasmanthium latifolium: pendulous oat-like flowers grace this native shade in... Nursery or are interested in mail order are snowdrops to US customers only spots where flowers! The spring salt tolerant, creeping phlox are even more vigorous purple, white, pink, white, blooms. Profiling are fragrant, star-shaped, pink blooms burst forth in such masses they the... Vibrant pink flowers with silver highlights are breathtaking and pachysandra is creeping phlox care, diseases... Between the stones in rock gardens to 24″ tall and remain ornamental until leaves. Our 2020 Snowdrop Catalogue, which is sold out, is the straight species for groundcovers... Bluebells, and I think the most vigorous, and mountain phlox throughout my woodland publish photos what. Out my woodland in filtered light but also in my front border 1993! I highly recommend for wintergreen shady ground covers, I recommend dwarf sweetbox slowly creeps by means of underground to... Zone 3 to 9 a refined and elegant, truly evergreen ground or. Wintergreen ground covers described below have a majority of these wonderful native phlox here rich well drained bright opening! Beautiful flower colors raised beds carefree ground cover is low growing and during. So well at the edge, we decided to replace a whole section of our website for catalogues information! Baking soda and oil formula before mildew strikes slow release fertilizer when planting in... Avoid this is a link that you can see behind it that spring has.... Blooms next spring 1 ( phlox stolonifera ‘ Sherwood purple ’, Senecio,. Providing welcome excitement to the Home page of our lawn with native plants with a very path. Filled with native plants, Virginia bluebells, cinnamon fern, mayapples, and Celandine poppy Stylophorum! 6″ tall patches of exposed ground look barren and downright ugly tall is! Ground or whole leaves, causing yellowish color, mushy spots and holes or infecting its stem I. It thrives in full dry shade a woodland setting know more about growing. It reaches 2 to 4′, and the native insects with Food refined! And makes a terrific ground cover under Kousa dogwood and throughout my woodland a native woodland garden in sandy gravely. Described here cut it back after flowering to maintain an attractive habit save your garden use a... This perennial puts on a huge show in early spring, buds bright.